Thursday, November 10, 2011

Newborn Bliss

Our Dear Brielle ~

You came into our lives one week ago today and words can't describe how much you already mean to us. We haven't done much else this week except stare at your pretty little face and take care of your every needs. You are such a calm and happy baby...that is, when your diaper is clean and your tummy is full! The facial expressions that you are making are hilarious and your personality is already shining through. We are so in love with you!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Birth Experience: Tuesday night, I woke up with strong contractions about 15 minutes apart and was hoping this was the real deal. Up until that point, I was having mild contractions for a few days, but knew those could last up to a few weeks and I could only hope it was really happening! As they got more intense and closer together, I concentrated on being in a deep relaxing state as I rocked in our glider, listened to music and kept hot pads on my back. It's amazing how being calm and in control has such an effect on contractions. I knew that if I let them get the best of me, it would be a very difficult and insufferable labor and delivery. It was important to me to be as serene as possible, not only for me but for Brielle's experience of being born.

Around 3am, I woke Zach up and told him it was time to get ready to go to the hospital. We both took showers, packed our bags and headed out around 4am. After checking in, I learned I was 3.5 cm dilated, so they kept us and we began the process of having a baby! I progressed well for the next few hours and around 9am, the contractions became unbearable as they came one after the other with very little relief. I was examined and was about 6.5 cm, which was a bit frustrating. I wasn't sure how I would get through the next few hours with that type of pain. Zach and I kept trying to keep my breathing under control, but I knew I wouldn't last. I requested an epidural, knowing that I wanted to enjoy the end of labor and be comfortable during the actual birth. After waiting another hour and a half for the anesthesiologist to arrive (longest 90 minutes of my life!!), I was finally able relax and catch my breath.

I labored for another three hours and was ready to push at 1pm. After a few rounds, the doc was called in and with one more push, our beautiful daughter was born!! I couldn't believe how easy it was (after I had the epidural, that is), and overall I think the entire experience was really wonderful. After having an hour to bond with Brielle and get her to start breastfeeding, I was moved to the recovery room and we were discharged Thursday afternoon.

It's been wonderful being home, lack of sleep and all!











Our Sweet Girl








First Bath







No comments: