It’s been a while since Amber said she would like me to put something on the blog, that’s how long it took me to type this up…
Life in Australia has been different everywhere we go. We started in a large city, Melbourne, which is still both our favorite place so far. I think I liked it so much because the “high” of getting to Australia was definitely in full effect. The weather was also beautiful most of our time and the buzz going around town for the upcoming Australian Open was fun and exciting. After we bought a piece of crap car from a local used car dealer and it broke down 300 kilometers outside of Melbourne, things got a little stressful. I think I was more embarrassed that I didn’t do enough research on the car than that it broke down. This was a hard day for me, and I felt like I had let our group down. Amber really helped me get through the tough time and let me know that I did do all that I could considering the circumstances. We now laugh about the whole thing, plus it’s a great story.
After our short delay in Wangarrata, a great little town in the middle of nowhere, we bussed it to Canberra and Sydney. In Canberra we stayed with a great family who really showed us the Australian lifestyle. Sydney is full of amazing things to see, I really enjoyed walking and riding the ferry around the harbor. My favorite part of Sydney was the bridge, and getting out alive. (Papa’s driving on the other side.) Being with Grammy and Papa was a real joy for Amber and I, she got to know them better and I continued to become closer to them. I learned a lot about what has made their 50+ year marriage so successful…they love each other unconditionally.
After a week in Sydney, we rented a car and drove up to Gloucester, Gla-ster, for a few days. That’s right - just don’t pronounce the middle of the word. The Australian language is a lot like the lifestyle here, laidback. In Gloucester we were submersed in the Australian culture…a friday night beef raffle at the golf club, grape picking preceded by Grammy dancing, Krambach’s Pub with the Hardly Davidson’s parrot crew, and flies. While in Gloucester we meet a great couple that needs someone to look after there home in August and September, we couldn’t resist. After Gloucester, we flew from Newcastle to Rockhampton and then bussed it “home” to Tannum Sands.
Life in Tannum has been special. After we settled down and learned how to take care of the house and pets the job searching started. Lets just say we have been here 6 weeks now and it hasn’t stopped. I didn’t love not having a job at first because I had so much spare time on my hands, but I have learned to keep busy and enjoy the time off. We have been playing a bunch of tennis; we played 5 times in the last 7 days. All the people are very friendly which helps make the experience easy. All in all Tannum Sands has been great.
I have been reading the Bible more than ever, and loving it. I have become closer to God and learned that he is the greatest part of my life. I am really enjoying spending time with Amber doing everything together…cooking, playing tennis, watching movies and meeting new people. Its crazy to think we haven’t been apart for more than a few hours since being in Australia. I just got home from dropping her off at Tennis for her league and right when I walked in the door I missed her. We are lucky to have each other, our health and the opportunity to spend time in another part of the world before we really settle down and start a family. I don’t take for granted this time away from work and responsibilities. Life is harder when you have bills to pay and work everyday but it doesn’t have to be bad. Having the chance to step back and look at life in a different way has been good for both of us. I have learned to enjoy my time off and spend it doing things I couldn’t have if we were home. Life really is good.
1 comment:
Your welcome again for setting you two up. May God gift you forever with the love you now have for each other. Keep putting Him first, and all things wil be good. Love you guys, andmiss you! Aunt Michele
Post a Comment